It is important to understand the symptoms of common disease for us to have early treatment. One of common disease, which is sexually transmitted, is Gonorrhea. Before we study the gonorrhea symptoms, first, let us understand what cause it. The disease is caused by bacteria named Neissie gonorrhoeae. It needs warm and moist areas to grow such as the human reproductive tract. Sadly, the overall rate of cases of gonorrhea is increasing each year. In fact, according to the latest survey, it is had become the second most common sexual transmitted disease in the United States. More than 700,000 new cases are reported every year, and this number is keep increasing, while over 5% of people have gonorrheal infection, but they are not aware. That is why knowing the symptoms are crucial, especially for high risk individual. What are things that increasing your risk? Here, are risks factors for getting gonorrhea:
- Having multiple sex partners
- Having a high-risk partner
- Conduct unprotected sexual contact (without condom)
One of the main causes why gonorrhea rate is keeping increase each year is because it can spread easily through vaginal, oral, or anal contacts. Most of the patients are women, because the chance for women getting infected in sexual contact with men who had positive diagnosis is 30% higher than men who did sexual contact with women who suffering gonorrhea. Also, pregnant mothers can transmit the disease to their baby during childbirth of normal delivery.
Gonorrhea Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms of gonorrhea become obvious fifteenth and twentieth day after being infected with the disease.
Here, are most common gonorrhea symptoms in women:
- Women, who infected with the disease, mostly complain about vaginal discharge
- Pain during urination
- Sudden, severe pain in the lower belly
- Bleeding after sexual intercourse.
- It may increases production of male hormones.
- Cramps and muscle pain
- Cervix infection and irritation
- Frequent urination
- Vaginal bleeding between menstrual cycles
- The thick, yellow and smell vaginal discharge
- Burning sensation around the vagina
- Irritation of the vagina.
Following are gonorrhea symptoms in men:
- Pain during urinating and gleet,
- Abnormal discharge from the penis Scrotal pain or swelling
- Inflammation or infection of prostate
- Blurred visions of one eye or conjunctivitis
Above list are the most common gonorrhea symptoms. However, around 30% to 60% of infected persons do not show those symptoms, and an individual may have different severity depend on their stamina. For more confident diagnose, one should be sure to get tested now and then. Gonorrhea is one of serious type of sexually transmitted diseases. It can develop worse than untreated disease and can cause serious health problems if it is not treated properly. Thus, it is better go to a physician or medical center earlier whenever one or more symptoms are occurred to have a bigger chance of recovery from the disease.